Point Linux 13.04 Release Notes
These release notes for Point Linux 13.04 (Taya) provide an overview of the release and document the known issues with Point Linux 13.04.
Point Linux 13.04 overview
|The purpose:||Desktop PC distro|
|Target audience:||Experienced users and business/IT sector|
|Based on:||Debian 7 (Wheezy)|
|Compiz:||Available in repo. Not installed by default|
|Distro format:||LiveCD/USB, LiveDVD/USB|
|Supported architectures:||i386 (i686-pae), amd64|
|Distro language:||English in Live Session, Localized during the HD installation|
|Installer:||GUI Point Linux Installer 0.14.1|
What's new in Point Linux 13.04
While Point Linux 13.04 is based on the same repository as it's predecessor, it comes with the new GUI installer replacing Debian Installer that was used in previous version. This allowed us reduce the image size greatly and simplify the overall installation process.
- Firefox 20.0;
- Thunderbird 17.0.5;
- Latest Debian 'Wheezy' packages;
- Broadcom B43 driver replaced with STA;
- BootStick, the bootable USB stick creation tool is included in both editions by default;
- LZMA squashfs compression changed back to GZIP.
Point Linux 13.04 comes in two editions, Full and Core.
Key packages present in Core and Full editions
- Virtualbox Guest Additions
Key applications present in Core and Full editions
- Network Manager Gnome
- Update Manager
- Eye of Mate (the Eye of Gnome analog)
- Atril (the Evince analog)
- Engrampa (the File Roller analog)
- Printer Configuration Tool (system-config-printer)
Key applications present in Full edition only
- Mozilla Firefox
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Mateconf Editor (the GСonf Editor analog)
- Simple Scan
- Adobe Flash Player (licensed)
Full edition also includes non-free firmware drivers.
Core edition can be easily upgraded to the Full edition by installing the
Non-free Google Chrome, Opera, Dropbox and Virtualbox repos can be added with the
Compiz is not installed by default, but it can be easily enabled with
pointlinux-compiz metapackage installation and restart.
Point Linux Installer
Point Linux Installer is a fork of Linux Mint's Live Installer. It brings some notable changes and improvements over the original Live Installer project:
- Installer performs more checks before launch;
- 'No Internet connection' dialog appears if there's no Internet connection detected;
- Automatic timezone detection function added (requires Internet connection);
- Installer sets 'us' keyboard layout for user info input regardless of layout chosen before;
- Regex username and hostname validity check;
- Avatar selection option removed;
- Autologin option added;
- Keyboard layout pic removed that allowed us remove the Qt4 libraries from dependencies and reduce overall installer size greatly;
- Advanced installation removed;
- 'Send anonymous installation report' option added (requires Internet connection);
- Installer reduces window size during the installation if there's no slideshow folder;
- Better localization ability;
- UI improvements.
- Installer does not perform automatic Language (Country) selection in some cases
- Installer does not respect Dvorak keyboard variant
- Once enabled in GUI Vino requires relogin to enable the desktop sharing.
- There's no choice to run Brasero on blank CD/DVD media insertion.
- LightDM: Additional language selection is ignored in multilingual environments. Debian Bug #679386.
- No sound on Intel 5 Series/3400 Chipset HDA sound card. Debian Bug #679056